Thank you, Frank Gehry
Yesterday in San Sebastian, as I enjoyed my final Spanish beachside picnic, I remembered that I the idea to come to Spain was born sometime back in 1997, when I saw photos of the Guggenheim Bilbao in the Globe. Shortly thereafter, I actually dreamt about the museum (I don´t really know what that says about my subconscious, but moving on) and decided that I definitely had to go there.
I had forgotten almost all about this until yesterday. It´s a nice way to end my Spanish adventures. The museum is unbelievable, so much so that I was moved to make like a spy and take surreptitious, illicit photos while I was there.
In a bizarre way that I hadn´t expected, the museum is actually this weird connection between the beginning of the trip and now. Turns out Gehry is inspired a lot by fish in his architecture because of childhood trips to the market with his grandmother, where she´d buy a live carp and keep it in the bathtub before they killed and ate it. This is a Czech Christmas tradition, and I only just missed those very same carp stalls when I was in Prague back in late December.
Bilbao brings it all together.
I had forgotten almost all about this until yesterday. It´s a nice way to end my Spanish adventures. The museum is unbelievable, so much so that I was moved to make like a spy and take surreptitious, illicit photos while I was there.
In a bizarre way that I hadn´t expected, the museum is actually this weird connection between the beginning of the trip and now. Turns out Gehry is inspired a lot by fish in his architecture because of childhood trips to the market with his grandmother, where she´d buy a live carp and keep it in the bathtub before they killed and ate it. This is a Czech Christmas tradition, and I only just missed those very same carp stalls when I was in Prague back in late December.
Bilbao brings it all together.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home