Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Toledo, I hardly knew you. (And I think I´m happier that way...)

I took a daytrip to Toledo yesterday, a city that Cervantes called the light of Spain, among other things. It was pretty. It was actually very pretty, and arriving at the bus station just outside the city walls and having to walk the five minutes uphill to the city gates was pretty awesome. However, (and there´s always going to be a however when I call something "pretty") it was a little too touristy for my liking. Yes, the narrow windy streets were UNESCO world heritage site worthy, and yes, I enjoyed ambling about and buying a marzipan dessert (the city is apparently famed for its marzipan, and the thing I bought was literally called a marzipan dessert and pretty outrageously decadent) but there were too many touristy shops selling Don Quixote armour (I kid you not) for it to feel like an actual place where people live. That´s all. It reminded me a lot of the old part of Prague, north (?) of the river where the castle is. It´s all windy streets and cobblestone alleys, but again, the same excessive amount of tourist shops all hawking the same kitschy collectables.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home